Friday, August 8, 2008

Flickr vs Picassa and Furl vs. Delicious

Over the last few weeks I've been participating in a professional development program called 23Things. The idea is to expose info pros to a wide variety of technologies so that we can adapt them as needed to our various work situations. (SLA members will want to check the organization web site to see what the program offers.)

The program introduces Flickr as a useful image sharing site and Delicious as a social bookmarking tool. This is all well and good. I have learned a lot and dutifully progressed through the prescribed exercises. The trouble is, I had already been using Picassa for images and FURL for bookmarking.

I can't help but feel a bit torn and fragmented. Which is better? Why did the 23Things people pick Flickr over Picassa and Delicious over FURL? Granted, they have different functionality and assorted pros and cons. My beef is that now I have some pictures uploaded to Flickr and others on Picassa. My bookmarks are split between FURL and Delicious.

Ultimately I will pick one and go with it. In the meantime, however, I'm experiencing some kind of multiple personality syndrome.

No comments:

Post a Comment