Monday, October 20, 2008

Remember the 23Things? I'm Finished!

Last summer, sometime around July 1st, I started working my way through the Special Library Association's 23Things. It is a remarkable learning opportunity for info pros who want to become familiar with the multitude of Web 2.0 tools that have come on the scene. These tools, including blogs, wiki's, bookmarking, and more are gaining traction in our workspace. Info pros who are not becoming familiar with these tools risk being left behind. (Note: I am blogging this from Internet Librarian in Monterey CA. Information Today President Tom Hogan listed the finalists in last year's contest for what to call a non-Internet Librarian. Winner? Zoe Anderson at the Napa Library. She dubbed the non-Internet Librarian as Librarian 1.0.)

Happily sometime in mid-September I finished the nine week program outlined by SLA, and at some level I am now conversant in the 23 Things. I strongly recommend this program to each and every SLA member. Knowing what these tools do, how they are being used, and how they might be used in your context, is empowering indeed. Our profession needs informed info pro's leading the way. I may not be Librarian 3.0, but I know I'm not a Librarian 1.0!

SLA has hung out the brass ring for you. I strongly suggest you reach for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment